Artist with a practice based in drawing and painting, especially of the figure. Using found images as subject matter, the works are frequently based on photographs and other cultural ephemera discovered online or in books. Research plays a central part of the work. The images are not arbitrary, but frequently discovered through engagement with a wider project, be that investigations into UFO believers, or collaborations with writers and other researchers.
Work manifests as paintings, drawings, prints, publications, objects, and animations.
Current projects include: a visual overview of the history of Western psychology; an animated essay on the role of ostension in shaping conspiracy belief after the assassination of JFK; a research publication on the link between pseudoscience and the supernatural in the context of autistic spectrum disorder.
In addition, works as Head of Technical Services for The New Art Gallery Walsall. Writes a quarterly editorial for the UFO Insight website. Is a member of the Society for Psychical Research. Mentors on the University of Wolverhampton MA Fine Art programme.
- Salutem Machina: Selected Drawings 2017 + 18, Dark Corners Publishing (2018)
- And They Witness Light Across the Sky: Belief in the Age of UFOs, Dark Corners Publishing, (2017)
- George Saunders Critical Essays, Philip Coleman and Steve Gronert Ellerhoff [Eds], Palgrave Macmillan (2017)
- Tales From the Internet, Steve Gronert Ellerhoff, Norbert Allen Books (2015)
- Time’s Laughingstocks, Steve Gronert Ellerhoff, Norbert Allen Books (2013)
- MA (Art Gallery Studies), University of Leicester
- MA (Fine Art), Lancaster University
- BA (Hons) Fine Art, University of Wales, Aberystwyth